Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting into Delphi and IntraWeb
Hello, I need help... I don't understand a single thing about delphi and I am developing a IntraWeb.

I know so far that I will need various TWGrid's but I don't know how to make them appear or anything.

If you can help me, please reply.

Thank you in advance!
1) Have you looked at the demos?

2) One way or the other you are going to need to spend some time learning Delphi. What is your background - are you fluent in another programming language?
(04-03-2019, 02:30 PM)kudzu Wrote: 1) Have you looked at the demos?

2) One way or the other you are going to need to spend some time learning Delphi. What is your background - are you fluent in another programming language?

Thank you for replying, 
1) Yes I had a look at the demos, but I didn't find anything that really suited me... unfortunately.

2) Yes I am fluent at Visual Basic (not visual basic for applications, like excel uses) and SQL, I like SQL.

If that helps, I am doing a intraweb to a laboratory, which works right now on excel.
(04-03-2019, 03:51 PM)Eziooh Wrote:

Thank you for replying, 
1) Yes I had a look at the demos, but I didn't find anything that really suited me... unfortunately.

2) Yes I am fluent at Visual Basic (not visual basic for applications, like excel uses) and SQL, I like SQL.

If that helps, I am doing a intraweb to a laboratory, which works right now on excel.

Can I ask which Visual Basic?  There is "classic" Visual Basic (real VB), VBA (applications) and VB.Net.  They are NOT the same.

If you have specific questions on how to translate real VB into Delphi some of us can help.

I think it may be confusing to try and learn both Delphi and any web programming (even IW) at the same time.  It can be done, but you'll really need to dig in and get a grip on the Delphi world pretty quickly.

Dan

Thank you for replying, 

Do you have an idea of what you are trying to produce with Delphi and Intraweb?

Using VB, you've undoubtedly used a designer to "paint" your forms and dialogs; then you've created some code that does stuff when you click or enter information onto the form;  and then run that application to display those forms.

Delphi has that same model for application development. 

Intraweb takes that model of using a designer to create your form; and Delphi code to handle the events and application processing; and automatically renders those forms to HTML for display in a browser.  Clicking on the controls or entering data can then result in either client side, or server side processing of the form.  Essentially an application development tool that speaks html/browser instead of using the Windows visual API.

In order to use Intraweb, you'll have to learn Delphi.  Then you can start using the demos to see how Intraweb works.  After that, you'll want to design your application, pick controls, etc.  Armed with some knowledge of Delphi and a design for your form(s) the folks in this forum can help you with implementing that design in Intraweb.

Good luck :-)
Pete
(04-03-2019, 07:20 PM)DanBarclay Wrote:

Thank you for replying, 

Can I ask which Visual Basic?  There is "classic" Visual Basic (real VB), VBA (applications) and VB.Net.  They are NOT the same.

If you have specific questions on how to translate real VB into Delphi some of us can help.

I think it may be confusing to try and learn both Delphi and any web programming (even IW) at the same time.  It can be done, but you'll really need to dig in and get a grip on the Delphi world pretty quickly.

Dan

Hi, I think I had vb.net, which visual studio uses...
OK. As mentioned by myself and others, give Delphi a try... and you can try Intraweb with it as well. You will write Delphi code in the events.

If you need help with Delphi code itself there is some help here with it, but maybe a basic Delphi forum might be more helpful to you. This forum is a huge help for Intraweb, but you need to learn a little Delphi first.

A site that has been helpful to me early on was: . http://www.delphibasics.co.uk/

If just getting started with Delphi, you might try a VCL Forms project for "hello world" type applications initially, then create simple Intraweb applications. I say that simply because there is less involved (no browser for display, etc).

Dan
(04-04-2019, 09:18 PM)DanBarclay Wrote: OK.  As mentioned by myself and others, give Delphi a try... and you can try Intraweb with it as well.  You will write Delphi code in the events.  

If you need help with Delphi code itself there is some help here with it, but maybe a basic Delphi forum might be more helpful to you.  This forum is a huge help for Intraweb, but you need to learn a little Delphi first.

A site that has been helpful to me early on was: .  http://www.delphibasics.co.uk/

If just getting started with Delphi, you might try a VCL Forms project for "hello world" type applications initially, then create simple Intraweb applications.  I say that simply because there is less involved (no browser for display, etc).

Dan

I know how pascal works, delphi is like pascal, I already programmed in pascal (I think that was turbo pascal, I programmed on fps)...