Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delphi 12 first impressions
I've been using Delphi 12 daily now as my primary IDE. I've been also using it to build and test IntraWeb and other applications. The general impression is good. Better than I thought it would be actually.

1) Performance of compiled code:

My benchmarks show that there is a 13-16% performance gain in IntraWeb applications built with Delphi 12. I can't currently pinpoint where this gain comes from but I believe it comes from the changes in some core routines of the RTL (like Move, FillChar, and possibly others). 

One of our Indy server benchmark applications went from 11500 to 13700 requests/second on my test machine.

2) Compiler

Seems that they fixed lots of stuff that was affecting LSP and everything that depends on it. I have no problems working with IntraWeb code base and other code bases as well. 

3) IDE

Looks stable to me and I didn't have to restart it a single time due to unexpected crashes.

One thing that is bugging me though and I'll need to investigate: I can't copy any control on forms (or datamodules, IW forms, whatever) and paste them. Every time I try to copy a control I get an "Out of system resources" exception. Not sure if this is caused by any plugin (I only have GExperts and CNWizards  installed). Still need to investigate. If someone also finds this problem, please let me know.

Overall I think this is the best release so far, especially due to the performance improvement. It's great to have a faster product with a single button click.
Hi Alexandre,

I can only agree with you, it's great!

Regarding you being unable to copy/paste controls on a form/datamodule/IW form; I don't have this, so it must be some plugin you have.
I don't have any of the plugins you mention installed, so perhaps it's one of those two.

Cheers, Paul