Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use IL2CPU (... guide for beginners)
Hi, I'm a business application programmer. I do not have advanced knowledge of systems engineering, however I am interested in the IL2CPU tool to compile MSIL to Native code in order to obtain an executable program that allows better performance than JIT.

This tool seems to me a great solution to be able to evolve with .Net WPF + Winforms applications without having to convert to UWP as Microsoft proposes.

Please, is there a basic guide for beginners to start experimenting with the tool?

How can I contribute as an end user (.. and novice) to the development of IL2CPU?

Thank you.
Currently IL2CPU is still directly bound to COSMOS although preliminary work has been done to separate it out and make it stand alone and we will be furthering that.

That being said, its not intended to create Windows executable but instead make direct boot images.

With some expansion it could probably be made to make Windows executables and did in the very early days of Cosmos. But there simply isn't much of a need, there are existing products out there that can make Windows executables from IL and we are also on .NET core now rather than the original .NET framework.
(06-03-2018, 07:04 PM)kudzu Wrote: Currently IL2CPU is still directly bound to COSMOS although preliminary work has been done to separate it out and make it stand alone and we will be furthering that.

That being said, its not intended to create Windows executable but instead make direct boot images.

With some expansion it could probably be made to make Windows executables and did in the very early days of Cosmos. But there simply isn't much of a need, there are existing products out there that can make Windows executables from IL and we are also on .NET core now rather than the original .NET framework.

Thanks for your attention kudzu.

With .Net core are there tools to compile IL code to Native code obtaining a Windows executable?
I think there are existing tools for .NET core as well. I know for the macro .NET framework there are both commercial as well as open source tools.
Microsoft is working on CoreRT that will be the open source version of "Net Native": https://github.com/dotnet/corert
(06-03-2018, 07:04 PM)kudzu Wrote: Currently IL2CPU is still directly bound to COSMOS although preliminary work has been done to separate it out and make it stand alone and we will be furthering that.

That being said, its not intended to create Windows executable but instead make direct boot images. beetv

Thank You so much