Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SSL Certificate for stand alone IW Server
Question 
I have a stand alone IW web server not associated with a IIS web server for example.
I have successfully used a self signed certificate created with the IWCertificateManager.exe.

In the browsers used there is the warning (error) message stating the web site is unsafe (self signed cert).
Allowing the exception then proceeds to the web page(s) and all is well.

I recently decided to use a proper SSL certificate (Sertigo in my case) and I was able to use the certificate
files successfully in the application, HOWEVER now the browser produces a warning (error) message that
the web site is unsafe because the certificate is for a domain, not 127.0.0.1 for example (allow exception etc).  Tech support
for Sertigo indicated in that case a self signed certificate can be used.

I know cyber security is paramount so I am asking what am I missing?  Most notes I read about self signed certificates
is that they are not to be used 'in production'.  Some other posts here on this forum I saw comments that the IWCertificateManager.exe is shipped with other IW applications. How is that carried out at the end site?
I do not think you can get proper SSL Certificate without a domain (a.com or www.a.com). I saw that the more
expensive certificates allow "more" wildcards for the domain parameter(s) but I do not think that is what is needed
for a stand alone IW app.

Any comments or guidance is greatly appreciated.
I stand alone...

Messages In This Thread
SSL Certificate for stand alone IW Server - by rudyPos - 02-10-2023, 11:59 PM